As many of you know, it's the season of Lent right now. I usually don't do anything for Lent, just because it's never really appealed to me. Plus, I don't really enjoy doing hard things... and giving up something for Lent is hard. So, I initially decided to just give up fast food. Which is easy, because I don't really ever eat fast food, but giving it up would be good for me because a life without fast food is a much healthier life. This year is the first year that I've really understood the meaning of Lent, and it's become a bit of a fascination to me.
This past week, I met up with one of my girl friends for coffee. Every time I meet up with her she challenges me to do something difficult in my life that will have a great impact on my walk with Christ. We were talking about the weather and she suddenly turns to me and says "So Katie. What are you adding to your life for the Lenten season?" I kind of gave her a blank stare because usually people GIVE UP things instead of adding them on. Seeing my confusion, she responded "what are you going to add to your life that enhances your walk with the Lord?"
Normally, I'm pretty good at coming up with something off of the top of my head... but for the first time in my life I had nothing to say to that. Nothing at all. The thought hadn't even crossed my mind (which is a whole other completely different issue that I won't go into). She thankfully gave me some examp;es of what other people were doing, and I spent the next day pondering this. Here's what I've come up with.
Not only will I give up fast food (because it's easy/requires no effort and I like to have successes in my life) BUT I will also add two new things to my life.
1. Make my prayer life continuous and throughout the day.
I have this really bad habit of praying immediately when I see a need, and then only praying again when I'm laying in bed. I have this fear of awkwardness when it comes to the Lord and when I'm laying in bed at night is about the only time I can guarantee no one will walk in on me praying. I'm still kind of confused as to why that's so weird for me, but regardless it needs to change. Therefore, a continuous prayer life is going to be added. This means praying when I walk to class, talking to Him throughout my day, and just making conversation. I am SO excited about this, because the best way to get to know the Lord and recognize His voice is to spend time with Him. Getting to know Him better, on a deeper and more personal level EXCITES ME. I want my relationship with Him to not just affect me during my quiet time/prayer time at night... but I want it to be the first priority in my day. I am so excited for this. Please ask me about this because I REALLY need accountability on this one.
2. When I get frustrated with someone, seek the Lord and ask him to reveal 3 ways that He delights in them.
I'll be honest. I get frustrated with people a lot... and it makes me really grumpy. Grumpy people are not fun to be around and they don't really glorify the Lord either. My prayer for this is that my attitude would change, and that instead of seeing the negative in others I will be able to see them as the Lord does. He delights in His children, and I need to get over my negativity and love. This doesn't mean being naive (some people do not have your best intentions at heart) BUT it does mean seeing good in others. I hope that I will have a major heart change because of this one, and that you all will enjoy being around me much more than normal. :)
I'm sharing this with you for two reasons. My first reason for sharing is so that I can have some accountability. I need you to push me and challenge me and make me remember these things I have committed to. When I'm complaining profusely about a certain professor (and I will, I promise) I need people to remind me that I am called to love, and I also need people to ask me about my prayer life as well.
I also am sharing to challenge you in the way that my friend challenged me. What are you adding to your life this Lenten season? Think about it. And let me know. I'd love to know how to be in prayer for you. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment