So... that whole Katie blogs about her life during the summer thing? yeah. fail. Working took out most of my spare time for the summer and I'm a pretty boring person so I felt like there was nothing to say. However, school is starting back and I thought there were a few things I'd share about my summer.
I worked at a summer day camp all of June and July. It was so fun! I did late stay each day for K3-6th grade... a little bit of insanity. But it was incredible to interact with all the different ages and get an idea where I should be. For a month I helped teach the K3-K5 class which was amazing. If you're my facebook friend/follow me on twitter you've seen quotes from those kids- hilarious. I also nannied a 6 year old girl which was a lot of fun. I hadn't really spent that much time babysitting for one family so it was a challenge in some ways, but I'm so glad I got the opportunity.
In other words... my summer = work.
BUT. God has radically rocked my world this summer. In so many ways. Instead of trying to share everything I've learned, I've picked 5 things that I'm so excited about. :)
5 Things the Lord Has Taught/Shown Me This Summer:
1. He ALWAYS welcomes me back with open arms.
I definitely strayed some this summer and went back to old personality habits/ways of thinking that I had previously changed. It was such a strange time for me because I knew what it was like to be in daily fellowship with God, but I wasn't experiencing it. God totally rocked my world one night about how much He loves me and how He will NEVER leave me as I was driving to a friends house. I had to pull over for a minute or two to compose myself and just to praise Him and thank Him for loving me as much as He does. Like I always say, God never subtly tells me something... it's always a huge realization/smack in the face. SO thankful.
2. I need biblical fellowship in my life. Especially female biblical fellowship.
I am SO easily motivated and pushed by my friends to be a better person... but I am also so easily pulled away by the people I surround myself with. I need people in my life who challenge me to grow in my faith in Christ and who push me to be the person He's called me to be. God has brought some incredible people into my life who have been constant accountability and motivation, and I'm excited to see who else He allows into my life. I tend to seek out guys as friends for whatever reason, and while that's great... those friendships will unfortunately all be altered when any one of us starts dating. It's just a fact of life. Plus, there are areas in my walk with God that I need female wisdom. Being close friends with girls is something that is very hard for me, but something that God is challenging me to work towards and to trust Him with. Praying that I obey and don't take the easy way out of things.
3. I CANT live to people please.
I am possibly the biggest people pleaser you will ever meet. The way I make 90% of my decisions is based off of how happy it will make my friends/whoever I'm with. Making people happy makes me happy... but making people unhappy devastates me. If my focus in on pleasing others... how can I possibly be living to please Christ? If I make someone happy in the process of living my life for Christ and following His will- great! That's so exciting! But I need to live to please Christ. Galatians 1:10 says "For am I seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man I would not be a servant of Christ." Paul makes it VERY clear that there is NO way you can live your life to please man and still be following Christ. It just doesn't happen. This has become my new life verse. A good friend of mine shared this with me and it helped me so much to work on my attitude about pleasing others. Check it out if you get the chance. http://www.newspring.cc/study/two/sent-not-from-men. The only opinion that matters is Christ's. Praying I begin to fully realize this.
4. I will NOT grow without spending time in the Word... DAILY!
I went about a month this summer without touching my Bible except to drag it to church with me. Bad decision. The change in my daily life was evident... immediately. Who knew that daily reading and pondering could have such a drastic impact? My whole outlook on life was altered. As the Casting Crowns song "Slow Fade" talks about, it wasn't all at once. However, getting back into this habit has been incredible for me. My mind is constantly blown with what He shows me each day. (By the way... the ESV Study Bible is such an amazing aid for studying the Bible. Definitely look into it- it's a pricey but worthwhile investment!)
5. He's called me to teach!
I've always wanted to be a teacher, but I started having major doubts at the end of my freshman year. (major doubts? get it? :) After working at the summer camp with some AMAZING women, I know with out a doubt that that's where He's called me to be. Even better- I know what age group I'm supposed to work with. I'm so excited to have confirmation on my career choice and I can't wait to see the journey God takes me on to get there!
So that's about it. God's been incredible to me- as always. I'm ready to get back to school (9 days!) but I am so thankful for all He's taught me this summer. so blessed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment